View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've only had a long commute 7 months out of my life when I was doing Salem to downtown portland. I was too poor to afford sat radio at that time, and I don't even know if it was a thing in the early 2000s.

I would often make trips between Vancouver and my parents place in Salem on the weekends though. Would have been nice to have audio books back then.

I somewhat recently "read" 1984 while traveling for work. I could be happy long haul truck driving.
I had a commute greater than 1 hour each way for all 7 years I lived in Alabama. (Traffic meant that the 90 mile, 65 mile, and 25 mile commute were all over an hour each way) That was 2008 - 2014 and back then Satellite radio was $15 a month but you could get it down to about $7 a month if you let the subscription cancel for about a week. Then they would email a cheap renewal deal good for another 6 months.

For pretty much our entire married life either my wife or I have had an hour long commute and one a short commute. Today we are both 25 miles from work in different directions.

XM launched in 2001 and Sirius in 2002.