View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 05:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
If you are a 6'1" tall 250 lb american like me, getting into any Toyota is an effort in small space squeezable contortionist humans. A upward tilt steering wheel would help emormously, as would bucket seats or an extra 4 " of space.

This pretty much stops me from buying one
Maybe your Toyotas. The Tundra/Sequoia are full size and huge. I'm 6'4 and do fine. I agree though on the small toyotas. Rav4, prius, Tacoma, 4runner are all the exact same size. You can thank the world market for making them so small.

I really don't see how any of the pickups mentioned could beat a Tacoma or a tundra. Outside of the 3 point blow they all will do double and triple the mileage of the other trucks. There's a lot of things that go into ownership cost on top of gas mileage. I personally just got a 2001 Toyota Sequoia 4wd with 297k for $1900. I did oem toyota upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, centric brake rotors and akebono pads, new take off 245/75/17 michelin highway tires off a jeep and replaced some cracked hoses and did fluids etc... All in at less than $3000 it runs fantastic and still gets 17.5mpg. I even put in my speakers and have the cd player bluetooth adapter so the stereo is nice and convenient as well. Automatic dim mirror, power exterior mirrors, auto headlights, heated seats, auto climate control, sunroof etc... Its really modern and still looks relatively good in modern times. I've owned 4 UZ's now and they all have ran like new regardless of mileage which is wild. I will say every thing works except the light for D after 297k and 22 years. But I've seen plenty do many many more miles (see the million mile all original ones from a couple years ago).
I would say grab a high mileage sequoia (once they get close to the 300k mile range they nose dive in value) and take a gamble as values are really low compared to trucks and so are property taxes, but you need a truck so check out the tundra. A v6 tundra with the 3.4L v6 and 5 speed manual would be one you could hyper mile. Its essentially an americanized T100 though.

The big thing is stay away from the rusty ones unless you know what you can and can't deal with.