View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 12:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

I believe a few years back I tossed this idea out here and don't remember getting much feedback. My project touches slightly on the Op's goals I think. My application is a full body sedan track car, that I mainly want as much DF with as little drag as possible on a closed road course at speeds 60-120mph. The rear window/deck area will always have turbulent air flow. Installing a real rear wing is mainly useful when getting it into some clean air, but that height unfortunately by simple drag reduces front measured DF. Since dF is a friend at the rear on braking and early acceleration, it would nice if the wing was effective under those conditions and not so much at other times.

My thinking was if I could find the optimum mounting height for the wing, could I coax the rear deck airflow under the wing on braking and let the air flow revert back above the wing and thereby reducing drag when the wing is not helpful. I would attempt to do this by using oversize rear brake cooling fans to remove the boundary air from the rear turn down area of the top of the rear window, and try to redirect/reshape the air approaching the rear wing.

It would be easy to actuate as it would trigger a solenoid off the rear brake line pressure and have an adjustable delay after pressure on the brakes is released, to allow for extra whatever DF is available, as the car accelerates out of a turn/braking zone.

The actuation of the brake fans seemingly coincides rather well with the cooling needs/timing for the rear brakes.

The question here centers on, will this solution redirect the air enough and can I remove enough air to redirect the airflow enough with cooling fans to take the wing in and out of play to achieve my goals.