View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 11:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
This is among the common internet fallacies, that accident insurance doesn't cover accidents.

I'll say something like I wired in my own outlet, and someone will say if my house burns down insurance won't cover it. That's precisely what insurance covers. If someone falls asleep smoking a cigarette and their house burns down, insurance covers it. Insurance covers accidents.

What insurance doesn't cover is intentional destruction. Douse the house in gasoline and light a match, and they aren't covering it.
Any OTR driver knows removing mirrors is flat out dangerous, If truck owner doesn't know about it, you are right his insurance will cover the accident, driver will be quickly out of a job, and looking at convincing a jury he doesn't warrant jail time if the accident causes injury.

The suggestion on max tire pressure is the biggest bang for buck after lowering speed.

Has OP calculated actual fuel costs savings to help verify what expenditures are worth investment costs, or is this just some wild fun experiment? If this owner operator is in for the long term, then it makes more sense of course. I'm not seeing it as a viable cost benefit project personally, other than the two solutions mentioned above.

That one air trick in an earlier reply showed a drawing of momentum trailer flap, it is not intuitive how that reduces drag IMO, anybody care to explain or tested it?

Please note, I have been adding/custom building aero tricks on my many commercial trucks since the gas crisis in 1974, most helped some, first one raised mileage from 5.6 to 7.8 mpg, I have been hooked ever since.

Last edited by j-c-c; 03-13-2023 at 11:21 AM..