View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarpowered View Post
Anyone else think that electric is pretty much the end of the struggle? You can try all you want to get more out of gas, but you'll be light years ahead just buying an electric car. They're not all super expensive, and every year more will appear, driving prices lower.

Seems like the end result for most people on this forum, will be to buy an electric car. And then a solar system to charge it off of. At that point you've reached the goal.
I suspect that's where things are headed, but who knows for sure? There could potentially be better technologies, but governments have already decided which specific technology should win.

EVs are better in every regard except the battery, which is worse than a gas tank in almost every regard. When the energy storage device is way worse in most every regard, that's a huge hurdle to overcome for a machine designed specifically to convert energy into motion.

... and "not super expensive" is completely subjective. The Chevy Spark ICE was sold for $14k, and the Spark EV went for $25k. I suppose it's "only" 80% more expensive. What's a lousy $11,000 to someone buying the cheapest vehicle in the US?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!