View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoVan
EcoModding Lurker

I hadn't heard that

but it does make sense. I am so glad that I insulated the whole interior since the engine doesn't put out much heat. However, the insulated interior stays warm at 0F driving with just the fan on low now and A/C in the summer is easy too. Probably has upped the mileage.

The only thing I'd worry about with insulating the exhaust is the regen cycle. The exhaust is supposed to get really hot then.

The 4 banger diesel just makes so much sense in vehicles for this use. Lots cheaper than the 6 cyclinder diesel to make, but all the torque you need.

I guess GM is replacing these vans with an electric. That certainly won't work for us and with the electrical shortages expanding across most of the U. S., I wouldn't want one. I am in Chicago and we are one of the only major cities in the U. S. that is not running out of electricity during extreme winter temperatures, but I bet that time is coming quickly. The efficiency programs are probably going to only go so far to cover the huge increased loads from heat pumps and electric road vehicles.