View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarpowered View Post
I just don't see how the ICE can continue for much longer. Batteries are limited today, but what about next year? What about 5, or 10 years from now? The race is on and there will eventually be a battery that's superior to a gas tank.
Batteries will probably cost more per kWh next year, just like most things in this inflationary period. The last couple years bucked the trend of batteries getting cheaper to manufacture.

It's not a forgone conclusion that batteries will be "superior" to a gas tank, because the universe imposed constraints on chemistry and physics. A battery is like a $10,000 gas tank, that doesn't hold much fuel, that takes an eternity to fill, that decreases in capacity over time, that must be thermally regulated, that takes up a lot of volume, that weighs a ton... those aren't insignificant problems to overcome.

Quote:
There's only one way I could see the ic engine remaining relevant long term... But wait! If you managed to do that, why not just make a hybrid instead?
Well, you answered your own question.

Quote:
What was that volkswagen car that got around 220 mpg? ...And of course they made something like 200 of them, and then erased them from existence iirc. Instead of making them commonplace. You know, cause it was the right thing to do.
Of course, it's common knowledge that people hate having a market advantage AND making the world a better place simultaneously. We're all motivated by avoiding wealth and making people needlessly miserable.

Did you hear about the engine that runs on water? Yeah, they threw it away because they hate money and making really awesome things.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-16-2023 at 11:48 AM..