View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
4kw @ 120v =33.3333 amps then add some for inverter losses so under 50 amps. 4kw @12 volts =333.3333 amps power in. Like > 2 gauge fairly short battery connections and some serious battery storage like a volt battery pack. Bet it cooks itself at those loads

Hmm, but no mention over on the diysolar site of this. Must be chineseium
This is why I decided to go 48V for my Ambulance / RV conversion. Once you start pulling any real loads the current and wire sizes get crazy. Even running a small electric heater as a test through a 2000 watt inverter put a huge sage on my 12 V battery voltage in my old campervan. (2 x 6V / 200 amp golf car batteries in series) 12V is fine for running a small super efficient fridge and charging some portable electronics but not much beyond that.

I also didn't want the hassle of stringing together 8 12V batteries when I could buy much more compact 48V server rack batteries. It is also very hard to find a 12V charge controller that can handle 1800 watts of solar.

This isn't a surprise though. It is almost universally agreed that cars should have moved from 12V to 24V 40 years ago and should be 48V today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRaceJosh View Post
My inverter/charger is a Cotec that was discontinued. The Victron MultiPlus looks to be a good choice. https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva
I'm 95% sure I'll be bying a 48V Victron Multiplus. That 5% uncertainty is whether I want to upgrade to multifunction unit. They take less space, and make the wiring cleaner but also cost more and give a single point of failure.