View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #1269 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I listened to the "vehicles are getting too darned big" video and largely agree with his analysis.

That said, there's no limiting principle to regulation. That isn't to say there shouldn't be changes in regulation, only that arguments appealing to "save lives" need to be dispassionately evaluated.

The US overweight problem is by far the biggest contributor to morbidity and death, but that it isn't as visually striking in our imaginations as a child being creamed by a truck.

Should we be levying a tax for every pound over a healthy BMI, you know, for safety? We'd also consume less food if everyone was a "traditional" weight. That means less energy wasted farming, and less pressure to clear land for farming purposes.

I know, his passion is hatred for large vehicles, but people have the right to be fat as much as they have a right to own absurd vehicles.

... and my sister represents the fact that bad drivers feel the need to buy "safe" vehicles. She's the worst I know, and she has a 4runner for their family of 3.

A minivan is likely in my future, as I keep saying, and I'm open to that idea because I don't view vehicles as personality extenders, but as a practical tool to solve problems.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!