View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #56 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My gut is GM has made the wrong decision. How do their PHEVs cost so much compared to Toyota's $28k Prius? I realize 50 miles of range means a bigger battery, but not $15k more battery.

People in the US are going to need to burn petrol for quite some time considering lack of charging convenience or range anxiety.

... that reminds me, Toyota announced a few years ago that this year they would be revealing production plans for vehicles equipped with solid state battery technology.

I think Toyota's strategy is going to be the superior strategy.
The 2022 Prius Prime has a MSRP of $28,770 + $1095 delivery. It is basically a $30,000 car. The 2023 price has not been announced yet but it is expected to be several thousand dollars more (The regular Prius got a $3K bump in price)

However, the Equinox isn't a car - it is a crossover. PHEV crossovers from non-luxury brands range from $35K to $45K with batteries 1/2 the size of what would be required to qualify as a ZEV in CARB states. Doubling the battery size doesn't just increase battery cost - it likely requires a complete redesign of the vehicle to make more room for that battery.

Building out our charging infrastructure is a straightforward problem that doesn't require any technological breakthroughs. With more charging stations the range anxiety goes away.

However, GM's sales plan seems to be that people that need or want an ICE will just buy and ICE and they are happy to sell them one. No need to add the complexity and cost of a PHEV. In the short term the tax credit could cover that cost extra cost but basing profitability on a tax credit is a big risk when that money can go away with the stroke of a pen. Ask Hyundai about that.

I think they are looking for more households to look line mine. One EV for a commute and city / regional driving. One ICE for long trips.

EDIT: It is also important to remember that Advanced Clean Car II only applies to vehicles with a GVWR of 8500 and less. While Silverado and Suburban 1500s have a GVWR under 8500 it wouldn't take much to bump them over that limit and make them exempt.

Last edited by JSH; 03-17-2023 at 01:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-17-2023)