View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Konir
EcoModding Lurker

Skrutten - '00 Volvo V70 Classic Gen 1
90 day: 13.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I often see Volkswagens around 50 y.o. still being driven normally in Porto Alegre.

Not to mention they were made there. Just like the VW Beetle used to be made here until '86, and later from '93 to '96. But anyway, repairability is as important as how long the vehicle would last before needing such repairs.

What happened?
That's really cool! Is there a large production of spare parts for older VW-models in Brazil to help the fleet stay afloat?

I got stuck in an old industrial drill press. Snapped the lower bones in my left arm and messed up the fingers on the right side. Stupid mistake, but could have gone worse.

I've looked up my how to do a clutch change on my car by the way. I like to tinker with old Soviet-Ukrainian motorcycles in my spare time and it seems like the experience will be quite similar, but the parts will be bigger and harder to reach. It will be interesting, doesn't feel quite as intimidating now!

I can't really tinker quite yet but I think a better version of this will be my next test(attached pictures). I don't have the dexterity in my fingers to make a good version of it right now, but I'm curious to see if it affects cabin noise in some way. The door handles are really easy to remove as well, thinking about removing the ones on the back doors later on. I don't use them much and when I do I can probably stand the hassle of opening them from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_160318872_MFNR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	33588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_160540819_MFNR.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	33589