View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
whokilledthejams
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fridge View Post
Hi Jams,
I got the job about halfway done today.
Finding wires under the dash is an absolute nightmare.
After poking around under there a bit I realized there is no way I'm going to find (and splice into!) the wire I need.
So I went back to the engine compartment, unwrapped the tape from the wiring harness where the injector wires come out.
I found the black/red wires coming from each of the injectors, but I couldn't find wherever the junction is that they join to become one wire.
I knew from the schematics and what I observed that these are the common hot. So I took a chance, cut them and joined all 4 of them together on both ends of my cut. Then I used a 14 ga twinlead wire to take each cut end into the cabin.

For now the ends of the twinlead inside the cabin are soldered together, but my next step is to set up a relay to open and close the circuit with a small control switch on my shifter.

Then I hooked the battery back up and....It runs!
I re-taped the wiring harness and got everything put back together and now the rest of the job is inside the car.
I took a good bunch of pictures and I'll post them soon.
Interesting.

I've spent plenty of time upside down under my dashboard (mine came with an alarm that I accidentally set off twice a day, so that had to go; I added an extra lighter socket, upgraded the stereo, etc), so I know what a pain it is in there. The engine compartment, by contrast, is downright comfortable.

I should sit down and study the wiring diagrams some time. A kill switch would do wonders. I can only imagine how many miles are stacking up that my odo isn't rolling when I kill my engine(with the key) to EOC (well, ok, not really a lot, but every bit counts!).