View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 10:15 AM   #73 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just like some folks were suing HOAs for trying to prevent them to park their private trucks in their own driveways, when will someone sue a HOA in order to be able to go off-the-grid?
As Redpoint said - HOAs are a legally binding set of rules that homeowners in a housing development voluntarily agree to follow. There are no grounds to sue unless the HOA rules are a violation of City, State, or Federal law. The only solution is to move or to convince the HOA to adopt new rules. HOAs are a democracy and follow the will of the majority.

I was in a similar situation as Redpoint. The house we rented 2 blocks north of our current house is in a HOA. They had rules on everything from the type and height of grass to the square footage of yard that had to be grass vs landscaping or bushes. Exterior paint color had to be from an approved color palette and even then approved by the board to make sure there weren't too many houses with similar color in a cluster. There was no way I would buy a house with that kind of HOA micromanaging. ..... so I bought a house 2 block South just across the HOA boundary line. I can do anything here that meets city code.