View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 01:23 PM   #89 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Dang 150 @ square is cheap here. $250 is kinda the norm, but I get your point.

Using standard construction techniques, but with actual precision does build an excellent house. Bygone houses had the use of straight dry knot free materials
Excellent house, maybe, but plenty of corners are cut with appliances and fixtures. They'll put in a single speed air handler because it saved a few bucks, even though you could save hundreds over the years having a dual or multi-speed blower. You'll get the lowest efficiency AC and furnace. You'll get 15 amp circuits instead of 20. Hot water will take an eternity to reach certain faucets because they used the least amount of pipe possible to string around to all the faucet locations. They'll use laminate flooring, which is absolute garbage. You'd be better off with a nicely colored and finished concrete, which I still don't like. You'll get wooden decks and fences which require maintenance a minimum of every 2 years, and will still fail in 15 years. You'll get overmount sinks everywhere because it's easier to install than a much more functional undermount. You'll get noisy and inefficient bathroom fans because they were $5 cheaper than something better.

Are houses still being built with RJ-11 jacks? How about coax jacks? At minimum, new builds should have a cat6 jack that runs from where the cable/internet enters a junction box, to the center of the house at the middle/lowest floor, because WiFi isn't going anywhere.

If I were building a house, I'd have conduit running to all the rooms so I could add anything I wanted in the future easily. PVC costs next to nothing and is super easy to install. Crawling around in the attic when it's 130 degrees up there, trying to drill a hole down and hoping you found the small gap where the wall studs are is insane.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-04-2023 at 01:43 PM..