View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 09:24 PM   #1200 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Idahobos building a second story on stilts: A basement being installed under a mobile home for some reason: I have commented before that we have mobile homes around here with real roofs on stilts. In that first video they just used trusses that were open in the middle for usable space.

I have written before that if you are putting 4x4s around your mobile home you might as well put insulation in between and then siding on it--or put in 2x4s, 16 inches, on center, and then rip out the original wall [winks with both eyes]. This isn't the video that I wanted: I would rather built a second story (or basement!) instead of a conventional addition because i work hard on the yard and don't want to take away from it, but then I would want a wheelchair ramp, and that would require 360 square feet of ramps!

Building a carport in front of the garage sounds better and better. Maybe I wouldn't add a room up there, just an open attic, which could be converted into a room, but we need storage space before we can create additional living space.

By the way, I didn't refer to adding a second story to the mobile home itself, instead an addition with two stories, since most mobile homes are 2' off the ground. You could do one story with a 10' ceiling or just an 8' front wall with a bit of a cathedral ceiling to the front of the mobile home.