View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 07:49 PM   #237 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What about a hybrid uniquely makes it capable of those numbers, considering the hybrid technology is not utilized in those conditions?

The only way in which a hybrid makes highway cruising more efficient is by downsizing the engine, thereby working it harder at steady cruise speed.

The gen I Insight could get those numbers with a disabled hybrid system... it takes an eternity to accelerate since the electric motor isn't helping. Once up to speed, the Insight gets the same MPG regardless if the hybrid system works or not.
idk about other brands, but hyundais hybrid system works by using the engine only when cruising and also charges the battery at the same time, then once the battery is charged enough, it shuts the engine off and travels on EV mode only until the battery gets low, then cycles back and forth again. my exs toyota hybrid kind of just used everything at once and the hybrid system assisted, versus cycling between engine only and battery only like hyundais do. thats why its almost impossible to use scan gauge or instant mpg read outs in my car for testing, unless i do a trip thats longer than 40 miles plus
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-06-2023)