View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 03:06 AM   #113 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
This is the saga that never ends! I desperately wish it would, my friend!

I kept thinking that I needed to drive down and take the Accord to Transmission Center and Auto Repair, which is rated 4.7 with 81 Google reviews.

There is only one Yelp review, but it is one-star.

Some guy said he had his clutch replaced, but there wasn't any pressure, and they told him that he needed to have his master replaced.

"The master was fine when I brought in my truck!"
"Angry mayonnaise noises."

The Phoenix location is rated 4.3 on Facebook with 8 reviews, but also shows the Mesa number.

I had been trying to focus on official problems. I have done speech therapy 3 times with my brother in the last 2 weeks, but I just could not work with him on Friday, mostly because my 09 mom didn't connect until 1900, and then it was too late.

I have made a couple efforts to clean the top of the 2002 Civic engine, but I need to find my razors and mirrors.

I mean just razors!

Can't have acid wash powder too fine!

My sister messaged me yesterday "We have the Accord at Chandler Honda. I had called weeks ago to get an estimate for the rear main seal replacement and it was going to be close to $1,400. Now they are saying $2,100 and cannot explain the discrepancy.

At Easter... supper... (1400) she made it sound like they were gaslighting her, like it would have been $2,100 weeks and even months ago, and she felt like they were trying to make her think there was something wrong with her for ever thinking $1,400.

When Mom pays her bills on-line she writes down the name of the person she called and the confirmation code, so if my sister had done that, she could say "I talked to Dopey on 03/31 at 12:00 and he quoted me..."

They could still feign ignorance, but she would be in more of a position of strength.

"Tempe Honda is saying $2,600."

She should never mention Tempe Honda again. They probably would have told her to replace every gasket and seal from the top to the bottom until they got to the rear main seal and she would have paid thousands before getting to a $2,600 repair.

I asked "What about the transmission shop I mentioned?"

"It seems super shady from the reviews I read."

There is one negative review on Yelp, but only one review, which is weird, especially since there are 8 reviews on Facebook and 81 on Google.

There is one negative review on Facebook and the person wrote, in all caps, "-0 stars!"

There are 7 one-star reviews on Google, one 2-star review, and the rest are 5-stars.

The highest-rated iPhone on Amazon is the refurbished 3 SE, which is weird, I searched for the 14!

There are 7 one-star reviews, although it only has a 4.6 average.

My sister saying a random shop is shady doesn't mean much to me, one time she brought my niece to visit, my niece heard the ice cream truck, asked for money, and my sister said "That's the scary ice cream truck."

She almost never visits, so I cannot imagine she has ever seen it, did she lie to her daughter to get out of spending a buck?

Also, she has only talked about dealerships.

What is her obsession with paying top dollar to maintain a 24-year-old car?!

Let me return to what passes for a conversation with my sister before going off on more tangents.

I told her
Quote:
Tempe quoted me $200 and you $670.
Chandler quoted you $1,400 and then $2,100.
Who knows what price they would quote afterwards?
That sounds shady.
I paid Tempe to find a bad oil leak and as I told her later, "From what I can tell, Tempe wanted to replace the valve cover gasket, the belts, the valve cover gasket, the exhaust bolts, and the valve cover gasket, and perhaps that total was $670."

The car didn't need any of that. Maybe an occasional squeal on startup would have gone away, but perhaps adjusting it would have the same effect.

Before that Big Two Toyota said my car with 105,000 miles needed 16 expensive repairs totaling $7,316.

Back when my sister drove a piece of Chevy she dropped it off for one repair and never left the parking lot.
"I cannot drive this thing. What did you do to it?"
Three hours later.
"The shocks just blew out. Sometimes they just do that!"
"They weren't like that before you worked on my vehicle! Fix it!"

I will come back to that if I remember, but I am trying to focus!

My sister repeated herself and then wrote "Maybe the price of the part just went up astronomically."

The best price I found from a dealership for the seal was $12, but shipping was over $20!

She apparently copied and pasted something into Facebook Messenger. I didn't know what everything meant and I happened to have the Toyota Christmas list open, so I typed everything into the spreadsheet to look at it better and when I started typing those items I didn't understand Excel suggested things from the Toyota list:
Quote:
Rear main seal $2,022.04
Alignment $134.95
Wipers $33.99
Timing belt $1,450.00
Cabin air filter $80.95
Battery $203.41
Brake flush $186.19
Coolant flush $183.18
Auto transmission flush $247.52
Power steering flusht: $174.39
Left outboard driveshaft $879.95
Right outboard driveshaft $935.46
Total: $6,532.03
Big Two only wanted to replace one halfshaft, they said the power steering hose, motor mounts, front control arm bushing, and steering rack were cracked and needed to be replaced. Big Two said that the engine air filter and platinum/iridium spark plugs needed to be replaced, the fuel injection needed to be flushed with plug replacement, and the AC evaporator needed cleaning, but Honda didn't mention those.

It seemed odd they listed 8 of the same things.

Are those the most likely ones to go?

The CV boots may be ripped, but it doesn't click.
I don't know about the power steering or coolant. I didn't flush the brakes when I replaced the pads and rotors.
I doubt the cabin air filter requires replacement, but I prefer to hit them with my compressor and reinstall them.
The wipers and battery work, although they may need replacement soon.
I don't remember when I probably replaced the timing belt, but I think I told my sister it was something like 190-195k, and the car has 230k so no.

[uses spray bottle]