View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #168 (permalink)
Blacktree
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
I've been running the upper grille block year round, with no apparent issues. I think most of the cooling is via the bottom part of the grille anyway. But while driving, I can see the coolant temp go up to 90-91 degrees C, then drop a few degrees. So apparently, the cooling system is up to the task.

I have to apologize, because I haven't done much with the Prius lately (except drive it).

For example, the sport bike mirrors haven't been installed yet. To install them, I want to remove the "stubs" from the mirror bases, and fill in the holes. But that involves body work. And I'm dragging my feet on that.

I also want to make some better wheel covers, because the pizza pans are curb magnets, and I'm getting tired of replacing them (which involves buying another stock trim ring and another pizza pan, and doing the mod). I'm sure the pizza pans have cost me more money than I saved via fuel economy. And that's discouraging.

I also replaced the right front wheel bearing. It was definitely bad. I don't think it was affecting fuel economy much, but the noise was getting annoying. I didn't do a video, because I was pressed for time. And there are already plenty of Prius wheel bearing videos. But here's a photo.

Oh, I almost forgot. A vendor sent me an Android head unit to install and review. They gave me a nice discount. In return, I promised to make an install video with a product review. I jumped on this opportunity, because IMO the stock head unit is useless. Basically all it does is AM/FM and CDs. I have a USB thumb drive full of music files, but the stock Prius radio can't play it. MEH.

That said, I did install an el cheapo aftermarket head unit. Basically, I did the bare minimum to get USB and mp3 support. So the Android unit should be a nice upgrade. Plus they included a wiring adapter for the steering wheel controls.

I just did an unboxing video of the Android head unit. The install and review video will be forthcoming.

As a side note: I've mentioned before that my "real" project car is an E46 BMW that I'm turning into a race car. Lately, that's been eating up a lot of my spare time (and cash). Last time I went racing, I found out the gearbox is going bad. So I've been acquiring parts for a gearbox swap.

Of course, the BMW stuff is completely off topic here. But it does affect the time and resources available for the ecomodding stuff.

So in summary, the plan for the Prius is as follows:
  1. Install the Android head unit
  2. Install the sport bike mirrors
  3. Make fiberglass wheel covers and grille block to replace the "proof of concept" stuff that should've been replaced a long time ago because it doesn't age well
And the timeframe is "whenever I get around to it." LOL

See ya next time!