View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #67 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'explained'

I've spent around 24-hours reviewing my library, notes, and criticism of my criticism of the so-called throttle-stop test technique.
Best I can surmise is that, all the controversy stems from ignorance, some willful, lack of critical thinking skills, and lack of perspicacity, for some of those participating in the conversation.
I've tried to give advocates of the T-S T technique the bona-fides which would convince them of the fallacy of their logic, a back door with which to provide a soft landing, save some face, admit mistakes, and move on.
Years on now, providing facts hasn't appeared to move the dial.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The T-S T is a 'fail.'
Hucho, Janssen, and Emmelmann reported the failed logic of it in 1976, in SAE Paper 760185, the fruit of which can be seen the 3rd chapter in Hucho's 2nd Edition, coincidentally authored by the same Hans Emmelmann who reported the 1976 T-S T logic failure; a book the 'inventor' of the so-called throttle-stop testing has been in possession of, by his own admission. ( It pays to actually READ books, and take pains to comprehend their content, before you stick both feet in your mouth, losing what little credibility you might have ever had ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hucho attempted to re-report the logic failure in his 1986 book, citing his friend and mentor, Gino Sovran's two SAE Papers which laid out the particulars which illustrated the 'outcomes' one could expect, should they ignore the 'science'.
I did bring my 'Proctological Home Surgery Kit' with me, and I'm willing to go ahead with T-S T advocate alimentary tract, stereo outlet enhancement surgery today.
However, I'm happy to allow a grace period, in which originators and devotees of the T-S T technique may review Chapter 3 of Hucho's 2nd-Edition, Road Vehicle Aerodynamics, review the reference materials, and decide whether or not they'd like to print a retraction for the T-S T technique on their own terms, with their own language.
There's nothing in the extant scientific literature which supports the premises underlying the technique.
It must suck, not be to mechanical engineer.