View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 09:48 AM   #180 (permalink)
Blacktree
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Yesterday, I made some progress on the mirror bases, but wasn't able to finish them. I was able to sand them, and smooth them out with body filler. And was able to apply the primer. But it was a rainy day, and the primer was taking a long time to dry, because of the humidity. So I decided to let the primer dry overnight. Later today, I'll do the final sanding and painting.

Here, the parts have a fresh coat of Bondo. Last time I used Bondo, the hardener was red. Now it's blue? Interesting.

Fast forward a little bit. Both parts are sanded. One of them has a coat of primer. I saw some rough spots on the primered piece, and sanded them smooth. That's why the primer is missing in some spots.

Fast forward a bit more, and both parts are primed for paint. After that dries, I can sand it smooth, and drill the mounting holes for the mirrors. And then the final paint. BTW, when I took this photo the primer was still wet.

On a side note, I almost forgot how dusty fiberglass work is. Especially sanding the Bondo. I wore gloves and a dust mask, and had a fan blowing the dust away. But I still got covered in sanding dust.