View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 02:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
These people like their $30 raised gardens that assembled in seconds: I saw something like this on Facebook: He stacked two because they are 7" tall.

What do you think looks better, the craft-stick style garden box like in #1 and the first video here or the ones with corner posts like this?

I found another video from just 4 weeks ago with a lady who obviously has a thick accents, she doesn't say anything, she has subtitles.

You want me to read?! What is this, a comic book?!

She bought at least one Modular Garden Bed like this:
$454

Home Depot sells 7/8 in. x 6 in. x 8 ft. Kiln-Dried Cedar Boards for $22
If I use 4.5 on the long side and 2.25 on the short sides... I have half an extra board, but what can I do?!

Fourteen boards x $22 = $308.

They don't have cedar thicker than 1" and I cannot order anything thicker.

Neither does Lowe's.

Menard's does, but I don't know how many hundreds of miles away the nearest one is.

However, they will ship it.

$45 for the cedar 4x4 on sale!
$2.80 processing fee.
$20 handling fee.
$575.77 shipping a 4x4x96 package.
Having the only cedar 4x4 in town?

Priceless?!

Hancock Lumber will ship 10' boards for the low low price of $114.39, with free shipping!

What a bargain!

This potential idiot used, I don't know, idiocy for this raised garden? He used construction adhesive to sandwich two boards for rigidity, galvanized corner brackets, torque washers, and carriage bolts: I am not looking up the hardware, but Home Depot sells cement boards for $27 each, and you need 3.

Here the same potential idiot, who seems to have more confidence in this project, said that people who do custom milling of green lumber are selling it for cheaper than box stores, but they don't kiln-dry it, which is problematic.

He said that pressure-treated lumber will last a long time, but pine and fur last 10-15 years.

The FDA says that pressure-treated lumber is totally safe, but the government has a long history of telling us that things are safe and years later amending "My bad."
he said to be sure to drink a refreshing glass of radium water after building your pressure-treated garden box.

By the way, my neighbor is on full disability because the government sprayed Vietnam with totally-safe Agent Orange.

Home Depot sells 8' of galvanized corrugated steel for $29.

He used 4x4s for the corners, requiring two, a piece of scrap lumber connecting the long sides, and 3 pieces of drip-edge flashing for the top surface.

Home Depot sells those for $6 and 4x4s are $12 each. I am coming up with $129, plus screws.

His first raised garden box used 6 $4 cedar fence boards, a $15 roll of hardware cloth, 2 normal $12 4x4s, and 4 $1.65 1x2s for reinforcement.

Two years later he said they held up great.

That totals $69.60.