View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
What does it take to recycle plastic at home?

Somewhere I read the comment that in Japan there are countertop boxes people can use to break down plastic into petroleum, but I cannot find anything about that.

Everyone says "Don't use plastic! It clogs our waterways and landfills and we end up ingesting it!"
"Glass isn't cost-effective to recycle because Americans are lazy!"
"Glass isn't cost-effective to recycle! Just throw it away!"

I know where to recycle it. I have a bin of bottles and jars in the garage and I will recycle them the next time I see a client in the next town (and have time), but supposedly everyone else intentionally buys goods in heavier and bulkier containers, resulting in heavier and bulkier trash?

I never hear of garbagemen being cut by glass, while plastic breaks down into microplastics, and then plants, animals, and people ingest them.

A roommate said "Sometimes recycling takes more resources" so we should never recycle?!

My roommates were lazy.

I posted about that, but just found another thread where RedPoint said that Americans are lazy.

We properly recycle, but if our neighbors use their recycling bin as another garbage can, the city may take everything to the dump.

The city may do that anyway.

Plastic recycling isn't necessarily cost-effective to recycle anymore because China isn't buying it anymore--it caused too many health problems even for them!

Some smaller countries are trying to take over, but I cannot imagine that they can handle as much as China did, nor do I expect them to continue forever.

So, as I asked, what does it take to recycle plastic at home?

Cd (05-01-2023)