View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Somewhere I saw videos of people using plastic bottles as 3d printer filament. Maybe you can make something small, but incredibly useful.

Can you make enough small, but incredibly useful things to keep up with your plastic use?

We use a lot of plastic!

I thought that maybe you could 3d print an upper grill block that would look better than insulation foam, but Daox wrote: "3d printing grill blocks is totally doable, but not very practical I think." DIY: Coroplast grill block

I want to make my own phone holders, both for home and for my car.

Maybe others would want them, too.

I bought this a few months ago for $30:

It holds and charges my phone. I think that it is supposed to automatically close when I turn on the engine and open when I turn off the engine, but it doesn't always do either, and it often opens if I touch my phone, so I need to grab the buttons behind my phone, and sometimes it doesn't close.

Cool cool, let me just turn off my car really quickly.

I can close it manually, but is that likely to damage it?

Made in China, so yes.

Of course, now that I have it I keep thinking that having built-in bluetooth would be even better.

I asked a friend if any car phone holders had bluetooth and she said "Not all of them!"
"Remind me to never ask you a question again."
I only saw two car phone holders that charge and neither had bluetooth, so let me just Frankenstein some.

It doesn't charge 100% of the time, either, so not only does neither function function properly, my phone charger didn't come with a phone charger!

I ordered one for almost $30, but it is 30w, while this is only 10w, but this way I can charge my iPad at the same time, or potentially my laptop.

I wish that I had thought to grab my last phone holder from my first Camry. The next time I talked to the other guy's insurance I asked about it and they said they already hauled the car to Phoenix.

I didn't approve that!

I cannot find it now, but it had a design like this:

Weird. It looks like my first attachment timed out even though I have another Ecomodder page refreshing automatically to keep me logged in.

It still shows up, but was no longer attached, so I reattached it.

Anyway, the weight of my phone on my old holder caused the sides to come in, so it didn't need buttons and servos, and I miss it.

I posted about a company that will print circuits, so maybe I could go that route, but I certainly wouldn't want to start with anything so complex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accordion hat rack.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	33757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Holder.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	33758