View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I want to recycle everything, but it just isn't feasible, and if I wanted to recycle plastic into something useful, I really think that it would make more sense to pay schoolkids $5-10 an hour to rinse and dry plastic containers for an hour or two a day.
You're getting nearer to my argument, that it doesn't make sense for millions of people to be recycling experts and clean and sort the recyclables, only to have that effort thwarted by those who don't sort or clean their recyclables.

It should all be a single container, a single truck that comes through the neighborhood (maybe yard debris still needs to be a separate container), and trained professionals with proper equipment and robots sorts through everything and cleans it.

I want to recycle everything once we figure out how to automate most everything and power those things with nearly free energy. You don't burn 100 gallons of fuel to recover 80 gallons worth of fuel equivalency. The economics always needs to make sense, otherwise it's both a waste of money and detrimental to our natural resources.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!