View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
slurp812
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver EP3 - '02 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Like I said in another thread, the vast preponderance of people don't want a little car unless parking is an issue. They want a fuel efficient car that can do a lot of their missions. Usually "little" and "fuel efficient" go together but not always. "Little" and "multi-mission" rarely go together.

Yeah, most people drive their big vehicle alone or without a load of freight. I am much like that. Normally I merely haul my fat butt. Today I brought all the material needed for a fairly good sized project. If I had a Prius I'd need ten or twelve trips and I'd still have some 4x8s. Renting a truck on Saturdays is not much of an option, and a $200 rental for one trip sticks in my craw.

Not all trips are single commuters and cars are too expensive to hack a special-purpose car.

Since the EPA foreclosed the diesel hybrid is the only choice left.
You can rent a truck form Home Depot for 20 bucks (well you could last year). There is no way I will pay double to drive a big vehicle on a 50 mile round trip commute. Some seem to want to do that. I would rather spend my $$$ on something else. To each his own. Like I said, some people need a truck. I might need one once per year. The few thousand I save in gas is worth it to me. As much as I drive, a Prius would save me close that $200 per month vs a truck. I know guys who use their trucks daily. If you do the math, the big truck/SUV drivers can save more $$$ than me by hypermiling. Sure, I get 7 mpg above EPA in the summer months, but 3 mpg in a Silverado will save more $$$ than my 7.