View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I saw an older stretch limo at Silver Falls State Park on Sunday.

I keep thinking it would be nice to confine kid chaos to the back, with the privacy glass up.
20ish years ago we ran into a family in Death Valley driving an old stretch limo. They had 6 kids and said the limo: was cheaper, drove better, and got better fuel economy than the vans they had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Too bad the Diesel versions are also not available stateside. Otherwise I guess it would've been a winner.

On a sidenote, I don't know why Hyundai doesn't offer the Staria there, would've been a great option.
Diesel is not a winner in the USA. It only made sense when diesel was cheaper than gasoline and diesels had lower emissions standards.

Today:
  1. A diesel engine costs thousands more than a gas engine
  2. Diesel cost more gasoline. (US national average $3.53 gas / $3.92 diesel)
  3. In the USA if anything goes wrong with the emission system of a diesel vehicle it will go into limp mode after about 500 miles.

Diesel still makes sense if you are towing heavy loads or doing a lot of highway driving but diesel does not make sense for a family vehicle. They REALLY don't do well for city driving

A DI turbo gas engine will do as well as a diesel for total cost to own and a hybrid will do better.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-23-2024)