View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Blacktree
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
This is an interesting project. But there are a couple things you may need to consider.

First of all, 250 Watts won't be enough to completely replace the alternator. But you probably know that. You might need 4-5 times that much Wattage, depending on your car's power requirements.

Also, while reducing the load on the alternator sounds good in theory, there is a downside. The alternator has a "sweet spot" where it's most efficient. If it goes out of that zone, its efficiency drops. So ironically, giving the alternator a helping hand might actually waste power. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the alternator is being overloaded.

The exact numbers may differ from one unit to the next. But I read a scientific paper where the alternator they tested was most efficient at 30-40% of its max load, spinning at 2000-2500 RPM (that's alternator RPM, not engine RPM).

Instead of "helping" the alternator, maybe you could turn it off when it isn't needed. Sort of like pulse and glide. I think some modern cars do that already.