View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

I finally got my solar panel and charge controller and wired it up temporarily to test everything and it seems to be working great. As soon as I have time, I will be mounting the panel and charge controller and permanently wiring it in.

Despite the very cloudy and rainy weather we have been getting all week, the 50 watt panel is more than adequate for topping off and float charging the battery all day at whichever voltage I choose. I'll have to wait for a sunny day to test it's peak output and actual charging capacity though.

The Victron charge controller has been working amazingly well too, it was very easy to set up using their app and it seems to be doing exactly what it should. The one thing I'm still fine tuning is the float voltage temperature compensation because it seems like Victron has used a baseline temperature other than the industry standard 25 degrees C since setting the float voltage to 13.5 with the Odyssey recommended +/- 24mV per degree C offset results in a float voltage of around 13.2 in a 25 degree C interior, so I had to set the float voltage to 13.8 to get a float voltage of around 13.5 at 25 degrees C. Time will tell how well the voltage changes with temperature, but so far it's looking good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
Blacktree (05-12-2023), freebeard (05-12-2023)