View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
RPMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
True. Although I couldn’t notice any reasonable gains in mileage in the other truck it at least brought rpms down enough to reduce strain on the engine.
Many decades ago, HOT ROD Magazine did a project with Ford Ranchero, which included adding a Gear Vendors OD unit. I may have discussed it in my 'lectures.'
I don't have that data at hand, but my memory is that, it was well worth the trouble.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in 1976, messengers reported that a 28% overdrive would produce a 19% improvement in fuel economy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I swapped out a 3-speed 1:1 transmission and 4:56 rear end, for a 4-speed OD trans and 3.50:1 axle in my grandad's '61 DODGE D-100, which along with steel radials and some aero brought the indicated 55-mph top speed & 11.0-mpg, up to an indicated 91-mph top speed, and 21.5-mpg.
It was just a leap of faith, but it worked out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can't have any 'a priori' knowledge of what gearing would do for you.
If you were to do any significant 'streamlining' to the Chevy, the PhDs' would tell you that taller gearing would be mandatory.

deejaaa (05-15-2023), Ecky (05-15-2023)