View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #1351 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The crown bodyline is higher, which led me to think it was taller, since it wouldn't make sense to make the greenhouse taller.

According to U.S. News and World Reports, the Crown is 3.7" taller and 4" longer, with a 1" longer wheelbase, and it weighs 770 pounds more, but has virtually identical interior dimensions, with the Crown actually having rear hip and shoulder room.

Unlike the TARDIS, it's bigger on the outside.
All true - but small changes to the body do not turn a sedan or hatchback into a crossover or SUV. A hatchback becomes a crossover when it is "designed for off-road travel" and there are physical dimensions a vehicle needs to meet to make that jump. Those dimensions are below and a vehicle needs to meet 4 out of the 5 to be a crossover.

(i) Approach angle of not less than 28
degrees.
(ii) Breakover angle of not less than
14 degrees.
(iii) Departure angle of not less than
20 degrees.
(iv) Running clearance of not less
than 20 centimeters.
(v) Front and rear axle clearances of
not less than 18 centimeters each.

I'll give the marketing guys some creative flexibility if their vehicle has ground clearance in the 7 to 8 inch range but less than 6 inches = car.

Those Crown vs Camry interior dimensions are a bit misleading. The Crown uses its extra height to raise the seats to make it easier to get in and out and put children in and out of car seats. So there is no extra headroom above the seat but the Camry is already huge and doesn't need any more. The higher seat also puts the passengers in a more chair-like position so even though the legroom doesn't measurably increase it does have a more comfortable position with more room for legs.