View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #1327 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
I would think it's just a marketing ploy:
If you had followed along, you'd know ditching the wheel was an important architectural milestone.
Quote:
https://www.wweek.com › technology › 2021 › 04 › 07 › mark-frohnmayer-built-a-three-wheeled-rocket-trike-why-is-it-worth-a-billion-dollars
Mark Frohnmayer Built a Three-Wheeled Rocket Trike. Why Is It Worth a ...
All of Arcimoto's prototypes had a steering wheel. Ditching it would let him put the passengers more upright, shorten the chassis, and cut 600 pounds from the weight.
Early prototypes were nose heavy.

I'm not paying $20k any time soon. Electric bicycles top out at $10k And the (MLM) Cybertrike is projected at $3K but it's currently on hold.

Last I heard the Certified Used FUV program had three examples at $9-12K. I'm leaning toward one of those.

I watched again up until 3:36:
Quote:
3:29 ...One of the things that we did recently was the program to go ahead and make
3:36 modifications to the steering system. I think the thing that really impressed us about the modular
3:40 design of the vehicle is everything we needed to touch for a drive-by-wire system that could
3:45 be done safely and to make sure it was highly redundant is basically encapsulated in the front
3:51 clip. We've even made steering modifications together over the last several months that we
3:55 know we can take to production and give us more reliability for high-speed driverless operations.
There appears to be no change in steering ratio (I single-stepped through the frames) so it would be 1/2 turn lock-to-lock. I'll ask my sources.