View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 12:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I assume you've cancelled gas service to save on the monthly meter fee?

I go the opposite direction and try to gasify everything I can...
Yes, I called and cancelled service and had them come out and physically turn off the gas to my house. (They didn't want to do that initially.) We were paying more for the connection charge than for gas.

For me it was all about dollars and cents.

When we bought the house it had a decades old gas furnace. Inefficient and likely to fail at the most inconvenient time and force me into a rushed and expensive replacement. I originally planned to replace it with another gas furnace but even a base inefficient model was several thousand more than the ductless heat pump that we ended up installing. A new furnace + central A/C would have been about $7K more than the heat pump. So it was thousands cheaper up front to go with the heat pump.

Then there are the operating costs which are much less heating with electricity. With the gas furnace my December bill was $209 ($135 for gas +$74 for electricity). After we switched to a heat pump that dropped to $131 ($113 for electricity + $18 for gas) We also keep our house warmer because of the savings. With the gas furnace the heat was set to 68F. Now we keep the house at 72F when we are home and awake. (The heat pump is on a schedule)
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (06-08-2023)