View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 12:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrainxl View Post
Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’d be surprised if my ‘95 Civic completely cuts fuel when decelerating in gear. If that were the case, it seems shifting to neutral to coast wouldn’t be as effective. I know you coast much further if not in gear, but to fire all cylinders while coasting versus not firing any cylinders in gear, even if you don’t coast nearly as long, it seems coasting in neutral would t have as much advantage as it proves to have.

Maybe decel fuel cut is a thing for late model cars, say from 2015 or 2017 and on, but for mid 90s vehicles, even though fuel injection had been in play for ten years, seems unlikely to me.

I hope I’m wrong.
1995 is new enough that I would expect it to have decel fuel cutoff, but I have no experience with the 5th gen Civics so I can't say for sure. But there are easy ways to find out for sure if you can't feel it.

Is it manual or automatic? If it's manual, with the engine fully warmed up, release the throttle for at least a few seconds while in gear at around 2000 RPM or more and then carefully shut off the key one click for a couple seconds and see if the sound of the engine changes or engine braking increases with the key off. If there is no difference, it's definitely in fuel cut.

With an automatic, that test won't be reliable because the transmission has electronic controls. Instead, temporarily install a small LED in parallel with one of the fuel injectors by backprobing one of the injector plugs or the pins at the ECU and put it somewhere you can see it. If it turns off when you release the throttle while in gear and well above idle, there is no fuel being injected.