View Single Post
Old 06-18-2023, 12:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

I may have found a way to automate regen. In Kmanager, there's an option for a universal output with engine speed, vehicle speed, engine load, and throttle position parameters and I would think I could achieve what I want with those. I'm thinking I'll start by setting the output to activate when vehicle speed is 5+ MPH, engine speed is 1100+ RPM, and throttle position is 0%. I'm thinking that should probably work, but I'll have to verify with a light first.

As for how much energy can be recovered by the alternator, it's not as much as I would have thought. As a best case scenario, if the battery is discharged deeply enough to continuously accept the alternator's rated 105 amps for 30 seconds of engine braking, I could recover around 0.875 amp hours or a tad over 1% of my battery's capacity. At most, that would replenish about 6 minutes of range. Sounds good since 6 minutes is a significant percentage of most trips, but since the battery would normally accept only a fraction of that current, the actual energy recovery would be much less.