View Single Post
Old 07-01-2023, 02:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
An EV should be small, light, thrifty
Only problem would be fitting a battery pack large enough to prevent range anxiety. For people who rely on a single vehicle at home, often using a small one for budget reasons. An uncle of mine is willing to convert his Gurgel BR-800 to electric, which I don't expect to turn out any good actually...

Quote:
focusing on semis and hummers is not only very expensive but also wastes a finite resource that could go in to make 10 or more small EVs, PHEVs or many more hybrids
Had I been really into EVs, most likely my choice would be some random minivan, exactly in order to retain an useful interior volume while placing a reasonably-sized battery pack. Eventually some Japanese model with the engine under the front seats, and RWD, would have plenty of underbody room to fit the battery pack, and either hub-motors or some compact motor which wouldn't take much more space than the stock rear axle.

Quote:
Unfortunate it’s so difficult to sell a small cheap vehicle like an Aptera or “insert failure to launch here”
In contrast to Europeans and Asians who became more austere right after WWII, and many Latinos who grew up surrounded by European and Asian econoboxes, the average American was more influenced by a bigger-is-better marketing approach, leading to an entitlement mentality which rendered it easier to push those who think they "deserve" a V8 into a highly profitable full-size truck or SUV.