View Single Post
Old 07-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'evidence that supports'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'll look. Seems like it was Ford Motor, or SAE that mentioned it. They understood that driving in the REAL world involved a statistically-averaged, annual, 7-mph crosswind component and the wanted manufacturers to reflect that in their testing results submitted for new car certification.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not finished searching my archive, but I believe that the SAE transitioned into crosswind-averaged drag coefficients with
SAE Paper# 780337, 'Realistic Effects of Winds on the Aerodynamic Resistance of Automobiles,' by Bain Dayman, Jr., Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology ( CALTECH ), Pasadena, California, USA, February 27-March 3, 1978; which looked at yaw conditions from, negative 5-degrees, up to positive-30-degrees yaw, computer modeling a 'wind-averaged' wind spectra, at 360-degrees effect on CITY, HIGHWAY, COMBINED cycle fuel economy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAE Paper# 881874,from Texas Tech University, is one of the first documents I collected which presents coefficients of aerodynamic drag as a function of degrees yaw, at zero, 2-degrees, 5-degrees, 10-degrees, and 'wind averaged.'