View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 04:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
UIUC Aerospace Engineering, Urban-Champaign

I 'went by' your school today and took a look at the curriculum.
Looks like it will be the 1st semester of your third year when you'll get incompressible flow Fluid Mechanics. That's good!
Presently, their using Munson, Young, and Okiishi's, 'FUNDAMENTALS OF FLUID MECHANICS, by Andrew L. Gerhart et al., 9th-Edition, Wiley, ISBN: 978-1-1195-8 as their class textbook.
Currently unavailable at the UIUC bookstore ( available on Amazon, $ 129.55 ).
The 7th-Edition is available online in it's entirety for free.
I scanned the book, and anything automotive related didn't begin until page-511.
Page- 527 begins dedicated auto-related material, however I didn't notice any material that would 'move the dial' as far as new material. Hope the latest edition expands on this when you get to it.
Your school has done some research on 'motorsports aerodynamics' in the past, but there wasn't any specifics about it at the Aerospace Engineering website.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The school's largest sub-sonic wind tunnel at the Aerodynamics Research Laboratory ( which you'll have a class at in your 4th year ) is 2.8-feet height, by 4.0-feet width, with a test section length of 8-feet. It's 150-hp, MACH 0.2, with 160 measurement ports, and a wake rake with 52-ports. They say it's primarily for airfoils and wings, at 2-D flow.
You'll get some free electives your senior year, maybe they'll let you do some small automotive work.
You will have access to world class CFD.