View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I 'went by' your school today and took a look at the curriculum.
Looks like it will be the 1st semester of your third year when you'll get incompressible flow Fluid Mechanics. That's good!
Presently, their using Munson, Young, and Okiishi's, 'FUNDAMENTALS OF FLUID MECHANICS, by Andrew L. Gerhart et al., 9th-Edition, Wiley, ISBN: 978-1-1195-8 as their class textbook.
Currently unavailable at the UIUC bookstore ( available on Amazon, $ 129.55 ).
The 7th-Edition is available online in it's entirety for free.
I scanned the book, and anything automotive related didn't begin until page-511.
Page- 527 begins dedicated auto-related material, however I didn't notice any material that would 'move the dial' as far as new material. Hope the latest edition expands on this when you get to it.
Your school has done some research on 'motorsports aerodynamics' in the past, but there wasn't any specifics about it at the Aerospace Engineering website.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The school's largest sub-sonic wind tunnel at the Aerodynamics Research Laboratory ( which you'll have a class at in your 4th year ) is 2.8-feet height, by 4.0-feet width, with a test section length of 8-feet. It's 150-hp, MACH 0.2, with 160 measurement ports, and a wake rake with 52-ports. They say it's primarily for airfoils and wings, at 2-D flow.
You'll get some free electives your senior year, maybe they'll let you do some small automotive work.
You will have access to world class CFD.
Why do you presume I'm entering as a first-year?

UIUC has several student motorsports teams for which aerodynamics is a primary focus, including a solar car, Supermileage car, Shell Ecomarathon car, and Formula SAE. The aerospace curriculum includes incompressible flows, compressible flows, viscous flows and heat transfer, aeroelasticity, computational aerodynamics, and applied aerodynamics. I'm excited for the opportunity to get as much hands-on experience as I can to complement and expand on what I've already been doing on my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-10-2023)