View Single Post
Old 07-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
There's no way to accurately predict an outcome.
The Schl'o'rwagen experienced a drag increase upon lowering it.
The Porsche 914 experienced a drag reduction.
With the Audi A2, it made no difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's 'likely' that full-coverage wheel covers 'would' lower drag. How much would be pure speculation. Coroplast and zip-ties would tell you something.
All carmakers use MOON covers when attempting land speed records.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 2023 Prius has the facility for 'one-pedal' driving, like the Tesla Model S 100D that I've driven, you'd essentially, never use the brakes, and brake cooling would not be an issue. Ergo, the non-ventilated wheel cover wouldn't necessarily jeopardize the car.
I suspect that the rotors can store the heat of a panic stop from top speed, while fully loaded, without fade or warpage.
Yeah I’ve never had any brake issues with my IONIQ when I tape up all the vents on my front wheels. The only use the slits really have that’s helpful is getting road debris out of the wheel itself. Whenever I peel the tape off, Little Rock and pebbles and dust are stuck to the tape and sometimes I see some road debris still stuck near the hubcap openings. My only concerns with fully closed permanent covers is the build up of road debris in the wheels. Brakes aren’t a big deal since I slowly regen brake and hypermile in traffic and then on the highway you’re not using brakes