Thread: 60mpg Smart Cdi
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.04 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I might be more used to "underpowered" cars than you, even though there are some maniacs around driving powerful rides who eventually may seem like a threat to someone driving a more austere econobox.
That's quite possible. I'm fairly comfortable with smaller and lower-powered cars (the majority of cars I've owned have been <100bhp and under a metric tonne/2200lbs) but some certainly make things easier than others. I'd say the Smart's issue isn't its power alone, as I think that power/torque to weight would be perfectly fine in a more aerodynamic shape.

For reference, the least powerful cars I've driven are a 23bhp Renault Juvaquatre from 1947, and an 18bhp Citroen 2CV from 1963 Loved both of them but since both have top speeds on the wrong side of about 60mph, I'd not want either for any more than a gentle countryside amble on a sunny weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Interesting, the 1st Gen Euro spec smart cars (1998) are legal for import

Lots of unobtainable is legal now
The 1990s European market had some absolutely fascinating cars, though it seems US folks are more interested in importing Japanese models so people are overlooking some great cars. I've not checked 1999's list but I bet there are some interesting cars becoming eligible for import next year, too...

The very early Smarts are quite charming, and had some absolutely mad colour schemes, but I suspect one would have to be quite dedicated to run one in the US, as they're less substantial even than the generation I'm driving.