View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

Any one up on Chevette/H bodies?

To make a long story shorter, I was able to pick up a 1980 Pontiac sunbird formula hatchback rather inexpensively. It came factory with the iron Duke and a 3-speed automatic. The whole top end of the motor is gone only the block remains. Of course, everyone has their opinion on what the replacement engine should be. I used to have a very nice rust free 75 Chevrolet Monza hatchback that someone had put in Isuzu diesel in it. It had oil leak issues and other things going on, and I kind of needed to sell that car anyway. The person that bought it couldn't wait to get it home and like put a 350 in it. So now here I am, years and years later, and fuel prices are absolutely insane here in Washington state and I'm sure it's not likely to get any better. So, I went out and bought a 1984 chevette diesel that has the 1.8 Isuzu with a manual 5-speed. I would like to swap that into the sunbird, and just wondered if anybody had experience with how the full pedal setup might be way different. I can understand where the accelerator linkage might have to be custom cobbled up? I am hoping that once completed, I could sell the decent two-door chevette shell to somebody who wants to drag race or drift etc. I don't think they're too many forums dedicated to chevette's, not much love towards Chevettes. It kind of looks like both the sunbird and the chevette have a torque tube type of drive shaft arrangement? Any experts out there? I was pleasantly surprised at how well the chevette accelerated in the pre-purchase test drive as compared to a Mercedes 240D and some old Volkswagen quantum wagon I used to have. Though the sunbird is a little heavier than the chevette, I plan on putting a fiberglass type front end on it, and maybe fiberglass doors and rear hatch as well. I welcome your comments, opinions, . The chevette even has a tilt wheel! I was not expecting that at all! When completed I certainly would like to see at least 50 miles per gallon. The longevity of the 1.8 I've read is pretty remarkable. The bottom end of this engine has been completely rebuilt. Yes I still like my insight, and I picked up another 87 Honda CRX, but I've always liked the h body hatchback body style especially how the roof line looks. So I just want an easy going cruiser that's looks a little different than everything you see out there everyday.

06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]