View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not step up and get a real computer? I like the Mini -- no camera or microphone unless one is plugged in.
Yes, let me bring in a mini each day to record lectures.

I will plug a big and fancy microphone into it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I tried to force myself to use Siri, and gave up. It's been a few years so maybe I should try it again. At the time, I feel like it would get maybe 10% of my dictation wrong.
I have been amazed when my sister does text-to-speak with her iPhone. It gets a few things wrong, but she can tell it to correct it, and then tell it to send.

I dictate on my Samsung and it is hit-or-miss.

I feel that it is more distracting than texting and I am unsure that I can currently have it read my messages out loud, but maybe I finally made that work.

The last few times I tried it said it didn't have permission.

I said "I give you permission!"

Of course, it wasn't that easy.

If I told it to correct anything it would write out my instructions.

It usually writes out the specified punctuation instead of actually inserting it.
Quote:
All that said, I can type at least as fast as I can think. If I'm not thinking, I can type much faster. The correct tool for efficiently writing is a keyboard.
When I bought my first laptop, two professors told me to put it away, and in 2006 I was just writing notes.

One professor ranted about politics that had nothing to do with Mexican literature from the 1900s, so I typed up the materials she gave us, which were scans of stories that had been photocopied far too many times.

However, I brought my laptop to physics, and immediately gave up.

A notepad and pencil were the correct tools.
Quote:
Tell me more about that diagnosis, as that's something I've been threatening to address too. I'm quite pessimistic much can be done, as fundamentally rewiring a 40 year old brain is no simple matter, but perhaps there are strategies to leverage the positive aspects of my attention.
Drugs.

Everyone told me [condescendingly]"They don't accommodate for ADHD in grad school! They don't provide notetakers!"
Their website says they totally accommodate, including providing notetakers, I just need a current evaluation.