View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
We have hundreds of roundabouts in Massachusetts (they actually call them "rotarys" here...will relate funny story later in post). Given the over-population of this area and ridiculous impatient drivers they are extremely tricky. While cars entering the rotary are supposed to yield to cars already in the rotary it happens very rarely and it usually results in both drivers honking horns and exchanging "You're #1" pleasantries. I have never seen a rotary in this area marked with lanes although most have room for 2 or 3 car lanes.

I do believe they are useful to keep traffic flowing (vs. having a stoplight) and under normal driving situations I would prefer them for FE but during peak traffic times they cause huge backups as people overcrowd the rotary to try to become part of the flow of traffic therefore blocking all moving/turning options. It's even worse when the rotary includes a stoplight at a crossroad. While stoplights might be worse for FE at least there is some sort of organization in movement (and you can engine off at a determined amount of time at a stoplight).

Now funny story time...

Where I grew up in Pennsylvania we called them "roundabouts" and I had never heard the term "rotary." So my first week in Massachusetts I stopped to get directions from a local guy and he tells me to go to the rotary and take the first right. I get lost...stop for directions again...same directions. I do this four times and every time the directions are the same...I go into more and more detail with every person and I still get lost. You see...where I grew up a "rotary" is a social club (like the Elks, VWF, etc.) and is a building...not a roundabout. Nonetheless...I found my destination and from here on out call them rotary's.

Last edited by Matt Herring; 10-22-2008 at 09:26 AM..