View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
DoctorP82
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
Alternator delete, other engine mods for city driving

Hey all. I mostly drive in the city, and with my Jeep 4.0 Cherokee the engine size significantly limits my ability to gain fuel economy. The best I can do is 18 mpg (still above the adjusted EPA of 14 for in-city driving), and that is with roof rack deletes, P&G, and engine off at lights.

I have been reading some threads about alternator deletes, and was curious about this. Some info was about simply removing the fuse to decrease the drag load caused by the alternator being on. I was wondering if anyone has done this for a significant amount of time, how you go about maintaining battery charge, etc. I had the thought of a switch-controlled alternator fuse, that could be routed to the dash, but I'm no electrician or mechanic, so I need input on that.

Another problem is having an automatic transmission. My ideal cruising speed is about 42.5 mph where my tach reads 1200-1300 rpm, but with starting and stopping it can use a significant amount of gas to try to reach that speed between lights. I had seen people discuss adjusting the choke to augment shifting timing, but thought this was more dictated by gearing than anything else. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for finding what gearing options I can find available for vehicles?

Thanks,

JP