View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 02:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There's probably a causation vs correlation issue with some of this data.

Poor people aren't poor because they are single, they are single because they are poor.

I'd have way more money if I were single, having roommates take care of the mortgage, taxes, and insurance. I'd be eating less costly food. No child related expenses. Tons of free time to work on profitable ventures...

...The thing is, the 2nd income doesn't make us anything because we have to hire a nanny and pay taxes on the income earned to pay the nanny. It almost wouldn't matter financially if one of us stayed home...
If it's total household income, then I'd say that yes, being married and having a wife that works so you can pay a nanny still makes it look like you're richer on paper. Your overall household income is more.

Would the money from roommates be considered income? Or it could be that if you have several roommates in a house you have more earners in your household, or so I would think. It depends on what you consider a household to be or what you consider income, or at least what the person think's who's putting together that income table.