View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 06:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There's probably a causation vs correlation issue with some of this data.

Poor people aren't poor because they are single, they are single because they are poor.
That is certainly part of it. Someone that is poor and without a job or a very low paying job is generally considered a poor marriage candidate. On the other hand living alone is much more expensive than living with a partner - which means there is less budget for things like education that raise one's income. If my wife an I hadn't been married I doubt she could have afforded to go back to school for 5 years to get the degrees that allow here to earn much more than the dollar above minimum wage she was making when we got married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd have way more money if I were single, having roommates take care of the mortgage, taxes, and insurance. I'd be eating less costly food. No child related expenses. Tons of free time to work on profitable ventures...
True for you but as you have said many times - you aren't normal. Most people get tired of having roommates and ditch them as soon as they can afford to do so even if that means they miss other financial milestones. The vast majority of the singles I know are living alone

Quote:
Our household fits that data precisely, with us being in the 5th quintile and 2 earners. The thing is, the 2nd income doesn't make us anything because we have to hire a nanny and pay taxes on the income earned to pay the nanny. It almost wouldn't matter financially if one of us stayed home.
Yes, but childcare is a temporary expense that is only needed until a child reaches the age they can go to school.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-31-2023)