View Single Post
Old 09-09-2023, 10:19 AM   #108 (permalink)
Piotrsko
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Your box was common pre WW2 in large cities and is closer to pushing 100 years old. Yup nothing to protect the house from catching fire if you overload it today except the fast blow fuses. Back in the day it was inconceivable that you could overload and stuff was fused on the transformer on the pole which is no longer the case.
Otoh, they were aware of this threat which is why the down feed is in a heavy metal pipe whose main purpose is to pop the transformer fusing and keep the arc/fire start contained to the pipe. Those fuses are pretty much gone anymore as they need men & equipment to replace them. The power company does protect it's equipment.

I would suspect if you have a meter there should be a mains disconnect close by but it could be just a knife switch instead of breakers , I am not familiar with ancient odd requirements in rural communities. Good news, the meter is somewhat current limiting. Mine is good to 200 amps, anything above that fries the meter to an open condition. When they swapped it, I looked and pestered the installer.