View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 03:55 PM   #151 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Why would you want to live in a high cost city like Aurora when GM pays the same nationally no matter where you live? Work at someplace like the Flint truck plant making GM's most profitable vehicles (job security) and you can pay less than $1550 a month on a mortgage for a 3-4 bedroom house and that house payment isn't going to go up every year.
For me, considering going to Flint, Michigan is like considering going to Beijing. Not that it's a bad recommendation, it's just a place I've never been to and far from the places I know.

I still am not convinced I need to buy a home. Yes, I've complained about the problems from not owning one, like not being free to install an EVSE for whenever I get an EV. (I'm not sure how ethical it would be to drive an EV to build ICEV's. )

But in the end, if I start buying a home now I'll be over 80 years old when I stop paying for a 30 year mortgage, or over 65 if it's a 15 year mortgage. At any rate, there's a good chance I'll be making monthly payments up until the time I kick the bucket or get put in a nursing home, regardless if it's a mortgage or a rental. The wife isn't any younger than I, so same story. The boys, well, one will finish high school this year and the other is not far behind. The time I really could have benefited from owning a house has pretty much passed, which is good, because I can get on with my life and do whatever it is that I want to do with it other than planning to buy a building to call home. Right now, that I'd rather spend these last years of my parents' lives close to them.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 09-26-2023 at 04:03 PM..