View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 04:44 PM   #152 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,823 Times in 7,279 Posts
Quote:
At any rate, there's a good chance I'll be making monthly payments up until the time I kick the bucket or get put in a nursing home, regardless if it's a mortgage or a rental.
There is a certain use case for tepees and yurts. In the modern political environment it's motor homes and house boats. a relocatable dwelling is an interesting design problem. Fuller suggested you might lease housing like you do a telephone (HaaS -- Housing as a Service).

Fuller's first two Dymaxion dwelling units hung on a mast like an upside-down sailboat. Later the Fly Eye dome, made of identical (stackable) fiberglass modules leaving round openings.

Along the way, he divided the remit to housing utilites and housing people. The result was a rectangular shipping container whose walls and roof folded out into a cruciform shape, with appliances, pipes and cables preinstalled. The a 'skybreak' dome (which could as easily be an old barn or warehouse).

i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/d6/31/d4d6317ef748449f80f1dc2c45926bf0--buckminster-fuller-dome-house.jpg

See Baldwin, J. Buckyworks 1996 Wiley pp.156-157. A better world is possible.