View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 07:39 PM   #158 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
As redpoint said the key thing about owning over renting is that you lock in the largest part of your housing cost for decades. A mortgage is the equivalent of rent. Rent only goes one direction - up - relentlessly year after year. A 30 year fix mortgage is just that - fixed for 30 years and then the "rent" part of the monthly budget disappears forever.

Houses may or may not appreciate in value but the primary purpose of a house is shelter not an investment.
True. But is there anything with waiting for the time being while things like kids growing up, parents getting old, and rent is still affordable at the place I live (coincidentally, a paid for mobile home on a rented lot in the cheapest trailer park in the county)?

When the kids are moved out and my parents are dead, then I can see moving somewhere else for the sake of locking in a fixed housing payment. I wonder if there are any places that sell one bedroom or studio apartment type homes for cheaper.

In Flint I found a few single bedroom places for $20k to $35k. Most were built in the 20's, but this one was built in 1955 according to Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...73936679_zpid/

It looks like a horrible place to live as an amateur radio operator though with those power lines right there.